Whether you are spending a weekend in the country and need to be prepared for bad weather or doing more extreme outdoor activities like rock climbing, snowboarding, hiking or anything that exposes you to mother nature, you need a quality jacket to protect you from mother nature.
You need something that will keep you warm and dry while remaining breathable and comfortable while you move around.
It helps if it can pack up into a compact size to carry with you for when it is needed and preferably, will not cost you a fortune. The Patagonia Torrentshell will do all of this and so much more. Just look at a few of the reasons it is one of the top selling and most popular hardcore outdoor jackets right now.
Patagonia Torrentshell Review
Features and Specifications
- 2.5 layer H2N0 rain shell
- Durable exterior of 100 percent recycled nylon
- Waterproof (50 denier exterior water-repellent shell)
- Good breathability
- Pit zips
- Velcro wrist cuffs
- Reasonably priced for quality and features
- Medium-light design (310g)
- Good functional hood. Adjustable and helmet friendly
- Rear adjuster for snug head fit
- Front adjuster for good face fit
- Double waterproof hand pockets
- Ethically manufactured by company with environmental and social responsibility
- Good warranty and after sales service
A Well Priced, Durable And Comfortable Weather-Busting JacketThe Patagonia Torrentshell features Pit-Zips, Wrist Cuffs and it’s breathable and waterproof too.
The Patagonia Torrentshell is one of the top selling outdoor extreme jackets in its class. The features, materials and finishes are on a par with many much higher priced jackets. The have found a great balance between breathability and warmth.
Breathable Waterproof Design
Patagonia’s own H2N0 2.5 layer structure with an outer recycled nylon fabric has a 50 denier rating for great heat retention, waterproofing and durability.
It works with DWR (Durable Waterproof Repellent) coating. This is very effective at repelling water, causing it to bead and glide off the exterior of the jacket. With use and wear, one needs to re-apply every so often, depending on exposure and usage.
This allows the outside to keep the breathable barriers inside warm and functioning effectively. There is the half layer that keeps oil and dirt off the breathable section.
This makes it light enough to tuck into a day pack and carry for emergencies while still keeping you warm and dry under extreme weather conditions when needed. It is tough and durable and able to hold up to the toughest outdoor challenges while still keeping you comfortable inside.
One of the things that make the Patagonia Torrentshell so breathable is the use of pit-zips (underarm) for extra ventilation. Mechanical venting is normally reserved for top of the range outdoor gear but this well-priced jacket has included them and they make a world of difference.
They enhance the breathable fabric by allowing heat to vent, even in the worst, wet weather. Pit-zips will keep you dry inside while the exterior keeps the water from getting in.
The Velcro wrist cuffs keep the warmth in and the water out and fit a lot better than the elastic cuffs found on many jackets.
The hood has excellent functionality and works perfectly with helmets. It has an elastic cord lock to make fully adjustable. The Torrentshell features front and rear adjustability to ensure maximum protection from the elements.
- The waterproof, hand warming pockets are large and handy. They also double as cover, with the jacket able to fold up and be packed into the pocket. It even has a loop to attach the compact package to your equipment or harness.
- The neck area is lined with microfleece for comfort and warmth.
- The hem has a pull cord to maintain a snug fit and prevent cold air coming in from below.
- Another great feature is the dual storm flaps on all the zippers. These flaps are very effective at keeping the coils of the zip dry and improve the functioning and durability.
Patagonia has very high standards of ethical manufacturing (Bluesign approved) and they do a great deal of environmental and social good.
The Patagonia Torrentshell is one of the top sellers and there was lots of feedback on the product, most of it extremely positive.
What People Liked:
- Balance of waterproofing, breathability and warmth
- Hood functionality and helmet compatibility
- Value for money
What People Did Not Like:
- Zip storm flaps snag occasionally
- Despite the pit-zips and breathable material, ventilation is challenging under extreme activity
- No inside or chest pockets
The reason the Patagonia Torrentshell has proved so popular and successful comes down to a combination of a quality, high performing product that is great value for money.
It packs up into a relatively lightweight, compact bundle that can be carried with you for when you need it.
When faced with the wrath of Mother Nature, you will be protected and stay warm and dry inside while still able to move freely and enjoy good breathability.
The exterior is durable and able to withstand the rigorous of most activities.
The company is well known for quality products and they provide excellent after sales service. It is good to know that they also follow high ethical practices in their manufacturing.
The feedback from customers was overwhelmingly positive which is a trustworthy and credible endorsement of the quality of the product.
For a top performing, comfortable and reliable outdoor jacket that will not cost you a fortune, you cannot go wrong with the Patagonia Torrentshell.
Wearing work boots in winter can be punishing, what with those steel caps and all. Here are my recommendations for the most comfortable and warmest work boots on the market.
What about winter hiking boot? Check out my top picks here.
The wrong sleeping bag can make backpacking a real drag. Check out these 3 sleeping bags for any backpacking experience.